Opportunities to connect, create, and achieve!
Family Support Services (FSS) provide day, overnight, weekend, and summer camp services throughout the community in Suffolk and Nassau county.
Respite is designed to foster independence and provide support to families so that they can recharge from the daily care of their loved ones. Depending on each person supported, while at respite staff can assist with basic tasks like dressing, eating, bathroom, and physical assistance.
Types of Respite Services
Each location offers fun and engaging activities like Arts and Crafts, Cooking, Games, Exercise, Meditation, and Karaoke. If you attend a Nassau AHRC Day Program, transportation will be provided from the Day Program site to the Site based Hourly Respite site. Adult day/evening services are located in Brookville, Plainview, and Wantagh
How to Get Started:
To apply, please contact email@example.com; Maura Boden, Program Coordinator Respite/Recreation, at firstname.lastname@example.org; or Amanda Spletstoser, Operations Manager of FSS, at email@example.com:
- Please provide a current Life Plan with proper specifications.
- Please provide a current annual, current immunizations, and results of QuantiFERON or PPD series that has been completed within the last 5 years.
- Please note that if your loved one is currently living in a Residential program, they may not be eligible.
- If your loved one is Self-Directed, please check our broker’s information for rates.
- An interview may also be scheduled upon application review.
Eligibility and Guidelines:
- Applicants must be 18 years or older.
- Your loved one must fall into a 1:4 ratio at minimum.
- We can assist with hygienic changes and toileting if they are able to ambulate and assist with transfers.
- Our services do not provide meals or beverages other than water.
- All meals should be nut-free and prepared as per their Diet Order.
- We ask that you send your loved one with a change of clothes, diapers (if needed), and sunscreen.
- We are unable to assist with medications as we do not have a nurse or AMAP staff present. Parents/guardians are able to provide their loved ones with medications.
- All required up-to-date Documents will need to be submitted prior to start.
For additional information, please contact our Program Coordinator at (516) 293-2016 ext. 5142, or via email at FSS@citizens-inc.org
Our Service Rates are as Follows:
Our Site-Based Hourly Respite is available in Brookville, Plainview, and Wantagh on Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday from 2:30 p.m. – 8 p.m. and on Saturday and Sunday from 9 a.m. – 4 p.m.
|Units per day
Frequently Asked Questions:
Transportation will be provided if the person attends a Nassau AHRC Day program. Day Program will drop off and the person will need to be picked up from the site.
If anyone is interested in other days that accommodate their schedule, please contact us to see what we can do!
Eligibility varies per respite service.
Wednesday programs are in our Wantagh location. Friday programs are in our Plainview location. Our weekend programs take place in the Cissy Burnbaum gymnasium.
Depending on the program of choice, eligibility may vary. Please click on your choice of program that is located above.
What documents are needed to start? An application can be completed here. Please send all medical documents and Life plans to Respite@citizens-inc.org
Please remember to adhere to your Primary Care Physicians Diet Order. Lunches will be stored in the refrigerator and will be heated when necessary. Please remember to label the lunch box. We aim to provide a peanut free environment. Please do not send in any peanut butter products.
Yes, a guardian/family member can enter the campus to provide medication.
Each person is taking a spot, we ask that the person attend the days that they apply for.
A community Habilitation Worker or other provider cannot be present while services are being received.
We currently do not have access to a swimming pool.
We are not providing off site trips at this time.