Who We Are
Mission: Citizens supports people to live the lives they choose.
Vision: A world where all people are valued.
Values: At Citizens, we believe that:
- Everyone should be treated with dignity and respect
- Supports are best provided around people’s needs, desires and choices
- A dedicated, compassionate and well-trained team provides exceptional supports
- Open and honest communication builds trust
- There is strength in diversity and inclusion
- Sound business practices, financial stability and innovation promote success
- Relationships with people and their families are vital to our success
Citizens Options Unlimited (Citizens), an affiliate agency of AHRC Nassau, empowers people with intellectual and developmental disabilities (I/DD) to achieve their goals through self-directed services. Recognized as a leading agency in the field, our programs, include:
- Medicaid Service Coordination
- Residential Supports and Services
- Family Support Services
(Camp Loyaltown, Family Reimbursement, and ComeUnity Recreation Programs)
- Respite Services
- Citizens also works hand in hand with Advantage Care Health Centers to provide coordinated medical, psychiatric and dental care.
Citizens believes that when people come together and work as a team great things happen. Citizens works closely with personal outcome trainers to assist people with I/DD in defining their personal goals and dreams, while developing a life plan that includes natural supports, community supports, and choice of service provision options.
Citizens’ dedication to excellence has been recognized by the Office for People with Developmental Disabilities (OPWDD) through its awarding of the Compass agency status; one of only four agencies in New York State with this designation. As a Compass agency, Citizens ensures that all services are person directed, meaning the person receiving Citizens’ services has a voice in decisions, policies and procedures, as well as overall quality management and improvement initiatives.
Citizens is also accredited with Person-Centered Excellence by the Council on Quality and Leadership (CQL).